On Saturday the 29th of June, Mr Acford and Mr Baines accompanied 7 Pinewood Athletes and travelled to Woodside Stadium in Watford to compete in the Mencap National Athletics. With temperatures roaring into the 30’s everyone knew conditions were not perfect and that they would have to be at their best to perform to the standards they were capable of. The day got off to an incredible start with Gold (Jasmine) and Bronze (Chantelle) in the U17 women’s long jump, followed by Griffith winning a gold in the 100m, narrowly missing out on a national record (12.19s).
The tone for the day was set and incredible effort and performances saw the team record a total of 11 golds, 2 silver, and 2 bronze medals. Griffith later set a new national record in the U17 200m heats (20.23s), before winning the final later with a time just outside his new record.
The behaviour and team spirit on the day was fantastic and ensured that Pinewoods reputation for sporting expertise and sportsmanship remains high.
Thanks to all the athletes that took part in an incredible day.
- Jasmine (U17): Long jump – Gold, Javelin – Gold, 100m – Bronze.
- Chantelle (U17): 100m – 6th, Long Jump – Bronze, Discus – Gold
- Griffith (U17): 100m – Gold, 200m – Gold, Long Jump – Gold.
- Cormac (U15): Shot – Gold, Discus – Gold
- Izzy (U17): 100m – Silver, 200m – Silver.
- Farai (U15): 200m – Gold, 400m – Gold.
- Aimee (U15): Discus – Gold.